Skip to main content

Pedometer Training: The Key To Daily Movement



I've recently started "pedometer training", which is, essentially, wearing a pedometer around all day long to see how many steps you take throughout the day.  So far (it's only been 2 days) I feel that this may truly be a fitness breakthrough (though for friends of mine, like my good friend Sharon, who has been wearing a pedometer for a long time, this is nothing new). 

The minimum required for good health/basic activity requirements are, for most healthy people, 10,000 steps a day.  I wasn't sure how I measured up in this department, but let me tell you, 10,000 steps is a LOT...especially if you work at a desk all day.

Yesterday was the first day and my husband and I took a 5 mile walk.  My husband got his 10,000 steps from the walk, but I logged in at only a little under 9,100 steps.  I obviously have a much longer walking stride than my husband does.

Not to be outshined, while he showered, I continued doing running in place and aerobic moves until I got over 10,000 steps before I showered.  

So yesterday was easy to fit those 10,000 steps in.  By the end of that day, I had logged in over 12,000 (we did lunch and shopping afterwards).  So not too shabby.



Today, however, was mainly a work at my desk day.  But I started out with a bang.  Got up early, put my pedometer on, got out my aerobic step and proceeded to step, walk in place, and do aerobic moves for 35 minutes while watching "I Love Lucy", totalling me at over 4,000 steps.  Not a bad start to the day.  Now I knew though, however, that I still had at least 6,000 more I had to cover.  NOT that easy to do when you're sitting in front of a computer most of the day.

It's now 5 p.m. and I'm logged in at 7,452 steps.  I got the remainder of those steps from taking breaks throughout the day and doing the following.  Walk in place, knees high; stepping side to side, walking around the house, doing kicks, walking up and down my basement stairs over and over again.  Other great options are doing some lunges, etc.  Take frequent breaks like this throughout the day to get your steps in and to get your circulation going, burn some calories, re-energize.  


You can also take some breaks throughout the day and include exercises like lunges to up your step count and tone your legs at the same time!

Be sure before starting this or any fitness program, to get the okay from your doctor first.

According to the information booklet I have, the following applies:

Less than 5,000 steps per day:  Sedentary
5,000-7,499:  Low Activity
7,500-9,999:  Somewhat Active
10,000-12,499:  Active
Greater than 12,500:  Highly Active

What I love about this, is that it really makes you think about your activity level and how sedentary most of us have become...and why we tend to start putting on weight and become tired and over-eat.  It makes you think about how to fit more and more movement and activity in to your day because you have a goal you have to reach.  Essentially, it makes exercise do-able and a simple concept.  That's one of the things I love so much about it.

Besides, how many times have you been asked by your doctor or a questionnaire how "active" you are and you had no idea.  Now, you will know for certain how you measure up in activity level to what you should be and need to be doing to stay at your healthiest, lose weight, tone up and have energy :)


It made me personally realize just how inadequate my level of activity was.  Before, if I did 35 minutes of cardio in the morning or went to the gym or danced for an hour, I thought I was good for the day.  Now, with over 2500 more steps still needed this evening just to reach the minimum, I realize that not only did I have to do 35 minutes in the morning and activity and walking around during the day, but I will need more activity, like a walk this evening, to reach my goal.

My ultimate goal is, once 10,000 becomes the norm for me, to increase that to 15,000-20,000 steps a day if possible.  My friend Sharon?  When I spoke to her early evening today, she had already logged in over 18,000 steps!  Leaving me in the dust! :)

This is the first time in a long time that I've really felt that something positive I was doing for my health, fitness and weight was really going to work.  I'll keep you all updated on the progress.

Every "Active" Activity, Counts :)

UPDATE:  Converting other daily activities into "steps counted" for your pedometer program

There are so many things to love about pedometer training, including that it gives you a definite goal to shoot for.  Instead of asking what you're going to do that day to lose weight or to get exercise and wondering how much is enough, you'll know that by reaching 10,000 steps or more, you are meeting the requirements of being an "active" person, thereby increasing your chance for success.

Another thing I LOVE is that you can convert so many of your daily activities into "steps" to increase the steps shown on your pedometer....these all count as exercise and physical activity.

Some examples:

Swimming, water aerobics, cycling (indoors or out), dancing, rowing, strength training, yoga, pilates, aerobic classes, gardening, housework, yard work, team sports, tennis, golf, cardio equipment (home or at the gym), skating, skiing/snowboarding, rollerblading

How to convert these daily activities into "steps:

Every 10 minutes of Moderate Intensity Activity converts to, or equals, 1,000 steps!  Moderate Intensity causes a noticeable increase in respiration and heart rate, but you are able to speak comfortably without feeling a need to gasp for air.

Every 10 minutes of Vigorous/High Intensity Activity converts to, or equals 2,000 steps!  Vigorous/High Intensity activity will cause your heart rate to be noticably high.  You may feel winded or too out of breath to carry on a conversation and talking can be uncomfortable.

For instance, today I went to the gym.  I did 20 minutes on the elliptical trainer and 10 minutes on a special stair climbing machine that emphasizes the glutes.  If I had not been wearing my pedometer, I would have calculated those steps separately as either moderate or high intensity depending upon my exertion level.

After this cardio, I performed 35 minutes of weight training/strength training combining free weights, machines, an exercise ball and some yoga moves (plank, side plank).  At times my intensity was moderate, at other times, vigorous...Though I was wearing my pedometer, the only things that will register is when I walk from one area of the gym to another or when I do leg movements such as lunges.  So for this, I calculated my "steps" differently.  35 minutes at moderate intensity would give me 3500 steps (1,000 for each  10 minutes and 500 for the 5 minutes).  Some of my exercise was high intensity, so I gave myself 500 extra steps for that though I probably could have gone higher on that.

So, today's total so far looks like this:  6258 on my pedometer plus the 4,000 "steps" converted from my weight training workout and my total so far today is 10,258, which is a bit creepy as I just realized that this is the EXACT number of steps shown in the pedometer picture at the top of this blog!!!  It is 3:55 p.m. here now, so I am sure to accrue more steps as I go throughout the rest of my day into my evening.

For some great advice on speed walking to lose belly fat (and this will really up your # of daily steps as well, visit the article below:



To get the 8 week fat-blasting walking plan sent to you free via email:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ready To Finally Tackle That "Getting Organized" Goal of Yours?

You made a resolution to finally get organized this year (just like every year in the past so far) ;)  Well, it's already the end of March and, GASP!  You haven't even started or made any headway? Don't fret!  I'm in the same boat.  Below are some great places to start getting organizational help, tips and ideas.  I'll be sharing more ideas and tips with you in this blog as well as the upcoming website:) Inspirational organizing talk and resources: http://penelopeloveslists.com/ Organizing Tips, Articles, A Blog & Online Workshops: http://www.simplify101.com/ This page is offering an online seminar on organizing your closet starting April 7th!  Check it out! ________________________________________________ Photo Source:  Marthastewart.com All kinds of great ideas here :) http://www.marthastewart.com/photogallery/winter-organizing-tips http://www.marthastewart.com/photogallery/12-homekeeping-multitaskers http://organizing.you

Where Has The Love Gone? Why We're Apathetic and Joyless, and How To Get Your Joy Back

Bring The Joy Back By Deborah L. Kunesh Copyright Deborah L. Kunesh 2011 I can very much be a "once and done" kind of a person in certain things. Desiring to just do something and then be done with it. Some tasks are unpleasant and we just want to get them over with and move on. But sometimes it's a matter of  love missing as being the catalyst for action in these things we have to do. We have a million things to do and all of these other things are just more items we have to tick off of our to do list. Water the flowers, clean the bathroom, call Aunt Stacy, respond to emails. We get overwhelmed and we just want some time to relax. Many know that I also run a website and page dedicated to telling the truth about Michael Jackson... Reflections on the Dance .  Michael always spoke about love.  My good friend and co-admin of the Reflections Facebook page recently said that we need to put love at the center of all we do.  Such a simple concept, and yet, so profound.

Healthy Cooking Tips from my Facebook Friend Nicke

Creamy Soup Made Healthy "One trick I learnt was to put vegetables through the juicer and use the juice to make soup with, rather than water. The soup has a creamy texture without the use of cream. I got the tip from an Oprah show years ago. She had a chef who had a restaurant in New York. Either he or someone in his family had a VERY serious scare with cholesterol and he completly changed the way he cooked. On e example he gave was to remove corn from the cob and put the raw kernels through the juicer and then cook in that juice. And you get a really creamy corn soup without cream. Another thing I do, and this is my own tip ... is when you make a salad and use vegetables like tomato and cucumber. Slice them and remove the soggy centres and put them in a container in the freezer. (The outer part of the tomato and cucumber will not add liquid to your salad) Then, when you make chicken soup, use the contents of the container instead of water. It gives the soup a nice rich fl